Sunday, August 12, 2007

What is Primitive?

Hi Friends, I finally took the plunge into the world of blogging and have given a lot of thought to what I would write about first. It made sense to me to start off with the word "Primitive" and what it means to me. I belong to a wonderful ebay group, and my friend Kassy came up with this description of what primitive means, I tried but I cannot come up with a better description, so she gave me permission to use hers. I really look forward to getting to know everyone and to share my primitive wares with you.


What is Primitive?

Primitive style is a unique duplication of the Early American and Colonial time period between the mid 1650's and early 1900's. A duplication of something made centuries earlier and found just yesterday.

The grungy look of something forgotten like a fine pair of tallow candles, placed in the eaves of an old barn long ago by their colonial maker...or a misplaced child's doll found behind the wall of an old estate...stained and dusty...suspended in time.

Primitive is always handmade and created in its very own unique way...a sentiment to time that has passed! Imagine finding an old 18th century dresser, lovingly created by a new groom for his bride... brought to their homestead by wagon, worn with the hands of time but kept because of sentimental reasons...finding it's way to an antique shop. To some it would be called junk but to you it is a bit of another era. To you it is perfect and priceless, one of a kind.

Primitive is Early American, Colonial and part of our history. The beginning of a nation when people fought for what was right and little children learned their ABC's by stitching them on bits of fabric...A time long gone but deeply treasured.

That is Primitive!

Until next time, I wish you all lots of prim blessings.


Melanie
http://www.bittersweetprimitives.com/











No comments: